Dec. 13, 2019 – -The Almond Alliance participated on a White House conference call this morning regarding the United States and China Phase One Trade Agreement which includes agriculture. While many of the details are being worked out, below is a summary of what we know to date.
- The Phase One agreement includes a commitment by China that it will make substantial additional purchases of U.S. goods and services in the coming years, using 2017 purchases as a baseline.
- The agreement establishes a strong dispute resolution system that ensures prompt and effective implementation and enforcement.
- The agreement focuses on general obligations, specific to transparency, due process and licensing.
- China has agreed in negotiations to eliminate non-tariff barriers, for many commodities. While almonds were not named, the Almond Alliance is seeking specific clarification.
- The Administration is expecting an early January 2020 signing of this agreement and will make the agreement public once it is authenticated.
To view the official press release issued by the Office of the United States Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer, please click here.