March 22, 2019 – -Both the Assembly and Senate Budget Sub Committees on Resources heard the Governor’s “Safe and Affordable Drinking Water” trailer bill proposal. Those Governor’s trailer bill proposes the following:
* A fertilizer tax of $0.006 per dollar of sales.
* A $0.01355 deduction per cwt. from milk producers’ payments.
* A tax to not exceed $1,000 on Confined Animal Facilities (excluding dairies, but including bovine, poultry, swine and other livestock operations) per year.
* A water tax of $0.95 per month on residential public water system customers and a $4.00, $6.00 and $10.00 per month tax on larger commercial water meter customers.
* $50,000,000 to the cleanup and testing of contaminated properties in the communities surrounding the Exide Technologies facility in the City of Vernon.
The items will all be discussed during the hearing and held “open” for more future discussions. It will be the first time that the agriculture industry will weigh-in on the issue since a bill with the same concepts died last year.