Oct. 24, 2018 – -On Oct. 19, President Trump signed a memorandum on western water, directing the Department of the Interior and the Department of Commerce to work together to deliver western communities the water supplies they need to irrigate millions of acres of farmland and provide water and power to millions of Americans.
The Memorandum directs the Interior and Commerce Departments to take specific actions, including:
* Expediting regulatory actions essential to the operation of water infrastructure
* Improving the information and modeling capabilities related to water availability
* Expanding use of water desalination and water recycling
* Accelerating and clarifying requirements for compliance with the Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act
* Removing unnecessary burdens unique to the operation of the Columbia River Basin’s water infrastructure