The bill focused on overcoming unfair practices by the ocean shipping industry and granted appropriate authority to the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC), allowing them to take action on ocean carriers.
Of many provisions, the bill would ultimately:
- Expand safeguards to combat retaliation and deter unfair business practices;
- Clarify prohibited carrier practices on detention and demurrage charges and vessel space accommodation;
- Establish a shipping exchange registry through the FMC;
- Expand penalty authority to include a refund of charges; and
- Increase efficiency of the detention and demurrage complaint process.
Following the passage, attention by involved ag groups have been turned to implementing the provisions by the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) through public solicitations and rulemaking processes.